London Business School is currently researching about home office since the Corona pandemic forces a vast majority of employees to work from home.
First experiences what people really think of remote work is only revealed by experience after a few weeks of practice. When asked which of several statements best describes their experience with virtual work, the 3000 participants of an online course answered:
- 2%: “I find the technology frustrating”.
- 10%: “I am always distracted by my family”.
- 15%: “Gives me time to really think and concentrate”
- 25 %: “I love autonomy and flexibility”
- 46 %: “It works well – but I miss the social interaction in the office”.
According to Linda Gratton, Professor of Management at London Business School, the following factors contribute to successful virtual work:
- Technique: Stay intuitive and open for experiments.
- Social needs: Reinvent your home office and make it human.
- Work rhythm: Establish a daily ritual and focus on the essentials.